Friday, October 21, 2011

Wedding Halls and Bare Shoulders

After my various sojourns into performing at Chinese weddings (http://shenyanigans.blogspot.com/2010/08/liu-jings-wedding.html), I was very curious to learn about the structure and ceremony of an Afghan wedding. Large wedding halls like the two pictured below can be found in almost every neighborhood in Kabul; they are literally the biggest buildings in the city. Hundreds of people are invited, and the men and women spend the vast majority of the time in separate rooms, thereby allowing the women to cut loose with sequins and bare shoulders. They are also prohibitively expensive and a huge drain on the economy.



As I drove by the "Paris Kabul Wedding Hall," pictured below, I taught my local colleague a new English word: tacky.



Bare shoulders and decolletage? Scaaaaandalous! Unless you're getting married, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment