Thursday, November 11, 2010

中美关系越来越密切!Face of America: getting faced

Before I left China, the chief of consular affairs for Liaoning Province, Mr. Zhao Hongbin, took us all out to dinner to say goodbye. Mr. Zhao, of course, famously 能喝酒, so he started the dinner with water glasses full to the brim with 白酒, which is 80-120 proof or 40-60% alcohol. Vodka, by contrast, is only 35-50%. Making good local government contacts in northeastern China requires eating lots of sea cucumbers and drinking lots of baijiu. Beth and I obviously can drink them under the table, so they love going out with us. This time, Beth tried to claim that she had a toothache (true) and I claimed pregnany (false). Mr. Zhao claimed drinking would help solve both problems.

Me with the translator Raymond, who is the only 东北外办who watches more TMZ than I:



Brandon reluctantly toasting with Mr. Zhao:



Beth, gearing up for a night out with Zhao:



LOVE the color coordination happening here.



In the words of Mr. Zhao, 喝白酒是必须必的!

1 comment:

  1. Wait! You left China!? As in - forever?! For your next post?!?!

    Okay, you totally have to email me back or something and tell me what to do with you on the map! Purple pins? Yellow pins?!? Where?

    a_daring_adventure(at sign)yahoo.com

    Fill me in, girlfriend! I gotta know where ya are...

    Did you really leave China? Will you be coming back to DC? Will you be at FSI!?!?

    ReplyDelete